REQUEST FOR APPLICATION
Solicitation for wider scale promotion of digital transportation platform for table fish, fish seed (e.g., spawn carrying bag with renewable charcoal particles), and fish feed and other inputs
WorldFish is an international nonprofit research institution that creates, advances, and translates scientific research on aquatic food systems into scalable solutions. WorldFish is a member of CGIAR, which unites international organizations engaged in research about food security.
Feed the Future Bangladesh Aquaculture and Nutrition Activity (Aquaculture Activity) is a five-year program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), implemented by WorldFish, to sustain positive aquaculture sector growth through an inclusive Market Systems approach. The Activity aims to improve the sustainable livelihoods for a large number of smallholder farmers and other stakeholders engaged in the aquaculture value chain in Feed the Future Zone of Influence (ZOI) and Zone of Resilience (ZoR).
In Bangladesh transportation system for aquaculture commodities are off standard by poor quality vehicles, arbitrary fares, no shared riding facility and lack of tracking system. As a result, quality of the fish commodities deteriorate and mortalities occur often during transportation of live fish resulting in less productivity in the aquaculture sector.
Access of hatchery and nursery owners, fish farmers, input sellers and fish traders into the digital transportation system might result safe transportation of the aquaculture commodities and can bring forth profitability into the market.
Subject to donor approval and availability of funds, Aquaculture Activity invites applications from qualified private sector companies who would be able to carry out the following within an eightmonth project period.
The key objective of this intervention is to allow development and scale-up of a private sector-led digital transportation system that will provide transportation support to major aquaculture stakeholders, particularly the fish farmers. The aim is to create a fully-functional mobile-based application and popularize its use among the aquaculture sector market actors.
The selected organization is expected to onboard at least 100 hatchery operators, 300 nursery owners and 20,000 fish farmers as users of this app through awareness creation and marketing activities. It is also assumed that through this intervention, fish farmers will be able to address the post-harvest loss incurred during inter-district transportation.
Scope of work
- Project tenure: 8 months.
- Develop the app live for the stakeholders using the smart phone/non-smart phone.
- The app should contain a GPS tracker so that clients can see the location of their commodities at any time after loading.
- One of the features of the app should include service sharing mechanism so that smallholder farmers can send small amount of their commodities to different markets they choose for.
- 24 hours call center service should be established so that non-smart phone holders can directly intervene in the services.
- Work with Aquaculture Activity to link the backward and forward markets and build a protocol for efficient execution.
- A detailed business plan with implementation strategy and timeline.
- A detailed marketing and stakeholder outreach plan.
- A revenue generation model with at least 3 years of business projection.
- Upgrading a mobile-based app, which is fully functional and demonstrates revenue generation from the business.
- A functional call center supporting at the backend of the app, disseminating aquaculture information, products and services.
- Service providers are trained and well connected with the fish farmers, hatcheries, nurseries and other market actors, thus helping the business grow.
- Farmers, hatcheries and nurseries receive transportation services as per the market need at an affordable price.
Aquaculture Activity Offers
Aquaculture Activity will provide both technical and financial support to execute the proposed and agreed upon business models/ideas:
- Financial support to leverage the companies’ investment. If short-listed, the final agreement will be negotiated with selected qualified companies.
- Facilitation and co-development of the proposed business models or strategic plans.
- Technical support as needed for successful implementation of the proposed models/initiatives.
- Facilitation of identifying or developing business linkages with other market actors.
Aquaculture Activity Fund Is Not For
- Working capital (e.g. day to day operational costs, salaries of regular staff, rent of buildings, office, warehouse, storage houses, regular purchases)
- Direct payments/subsidies to producers/aquaculture farmers
- Common IT and fixed assets (e.g. computers, cameras, projectors, vehicles, machinery and equipment)
- Common physical assets (e.g. buildings, warehouses, storage rooms)
- Have an experience and proven success on similar intervention
- Have commercial and profit interest and incentives in the capacity development of aquaculture market actors.
- Proposed business models/concepts which satisfy and support one or more of the following will be given preference (i) new and innovative business models, (ii) expansion of successful business models into new and underserved geographic markets and (iii) expansion of the business models targeting underserved population in the rural areas, such as youth and women
- Proposed business models must demonstrate continuity and sustainability.
- Cost share amount should be at least 50% of the total proposed budget.
- Cost-share amount must be verifiable and it should not come from other USAID assisted projects or programs.
- An active certificate of incorporation (for individual companies, a trade license);
- Joint stock registration certificate (if applicable);
- An organizational organogram of key personnel, inclusive of the names of such personnel;
- Tax Identification Number (TIN);
- VAT registration number;
- Proof of a segregated ban account (providing the name and address of such an account);
- The consulting firm must bear all annual income tax (AIT).
- Percentage of VAT and total amount of VAT should be mentioned in the proposal.
- Other valid papers (provided by government institutions).
GRANTS AWARD PROCESS
Interested parties should submit application by using the attached application form and budget template on or before 15 September 2022 to: email@example.com mentioning the title of solicitation or Request for Application (RFA) in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted applicants will receive a response from WorldFish.