The Feed the Future Bangladesh Aquaculture and Nutrition Activity (hereinafter, referred to as Activity) is a five-year (2018-2023), $24.5-million investment by the United States government’s global hunger and food security initiative, Feed the Future with the goal of achieving inclusive aquaculture sector growth through a market system approach in the Feed the Future Zone of Influence (ZOI). It builds on the achievements of the six-year Aquaculture for Income and Nutrition (AIN) project ended 2017, also implemented by WorldFish but applies a market system, rather than a direct delivery approach. This means stimulating co-investment by the private sector and key organizations to achieve the objectives. Market systems approaches are increasingly favored by United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and other donors as they focus on sustainability from the start.
- increased productivity of aquaculture systems;
- strengthened aquaculture market systems, with special attention paid to expanding opportunities for women and youth;
- increased awareness and adoption of nutrition-related behavior, specifically focusing on women and youth.
- improved access to better quality aquaculture inputs, services and/or market channels for 400,000 men, women and youth in the Feed the Future ZOI;
- 30 percent expansion of investment in aquaculture production and market related to inputs and services in the Feed the Future ZOI by the private sector;
- 30 percent increase in productivity from ponds and ghers in the Feed the Future ZOI;
- 20 percent increase in the number of households adopting improved nutritional practices.
This Activity has launched calls for proposals from private companies/organizations to apply for the grants. The calls include increased and/or improved:
- availability of improved fish seed
- availability of affordable, high quality fish feed
- adoption of improved aquaculture management practices
- market linkages
- engagement of private sector in aquaculture markets
- enabling environment for inclusive growth of aquaculture
- nutrition awareness and practices
- access to diverse and nutritious food
We are looking for innovative ideas/concepts that have the potential to transform aquaculture in Bangladesh especially in the Feed the Future ZOI, particularly for women, youth and small-scale farmers. Private companies/organizations located outside the Feed the Future can apply as long as they supply goods and services to farmers in the ZOI.
This is a two-stage process where interested private companies/organizations must firstly provide basic details about themselves and their business idea/concept in the form of an outline business model. The business models will be evaluated by WorldFish and successful proposals will then be developed into detailed business plans and funding requests by the private companies/organizations working together with staff from this Activity.
Deadline for submission is on August 6th, 2018
Interested private companies/organizations should send an email to email@example.com or can download the following key documents (hyperlinks to word/pdf versions):