The Feed the Future Bangladesh Aquaculture and Nutrition Activity (BANA) is a five-year project of USAID intend to improve nutrition through growth in the aquaculture sector growth. BANA works in 21 districts of southwestern Bangladesh and two districts in the southeast.
Fish and fisheries resources play a vital role in the socio-economic development of Bangladesh, but post-harvest losses are very high due to improper handling during transport. The situation has improved in recent years due to the increased use of insulated galvanized iron ice boxes, plastic crates, and foam boxes, but post-harvest losses in "wet fish" still average about 12.5% as most transport is still being carried out in open vehicles.
BANA would like prompt improvements and is offering a sub-grant to organize a design competition to develop improved transportation methods and tools to reduce the mortality rate in handling and transportation of fresh fish.
BANA is looking for an organization which will organize a design competition for developing tools and methods for improved methods and tools for the transportation of fresh fish from farms to wholsesale and retail markets.
The selected partner-- a private sector expert, transport service provider, training institution, research body, universities, consultancy firm, or other-- will design and organize a competition to develop cost-effective improve fresh fish transportation products, tools, systems, or materials for fresh fish transportation which will reduce the quality loss of fish seed and reduce cost and time for transportation.
After signing the sub-grant agreement, the selected partner will determine the competition rules, widely announce the competition, and receive submissions. The partner will review the submissions and follow an objective and very well documented evaluation process to identify finalists. The finalists will receive support from the partner to refine their designs and complete business plans to determine the financial viability of the design.
Based on the business case, the partner and BANA will jointly identify the winning design or designs. The partner will help the winner commercialize the new product by working with private sector enterprises.
Key Deliverables of the Assignment
- Competition design (to be approved by BANA)
- Announcement and organizing documents
- Copy of received applications/proposals
- Detailed documentation of awarding process
- Business plans for finalists
- Draft prototype development report
- Testing / field trial report of the model
- Final report along with final prototype for transportation of live fish
- Result dissemination workshop documents
Methodology of Implementation
- Announce national level competition to improve fish seed transportation
- Impartial and transparent competition
- Business plans for finalists
- Testing and refining prototypes
- Develop final prototype
Who can apply
Only qualified applicants should apply. "Qualified" means an established organization with a track record in industrial design, transportation services, technical training, and similar.
If selected for the grant, the partner will be required to show:
- A certificate of incorporation (for individual companies, a trade license);
- Joint stock registration certificate (if applicable);
- An organizational organogram of key personnel, inclusive of the names of such personnel;
- Tax Identification Number (TIN);
- VAT registration number;
- Proof of a segregated account/bank account (providing the name and address of such an account);
- Other valid papers (provided by government institutions).
- The consulting firm must bear all annual income tax (AIT).
- Percentage of VAT and total amount of VAT should be mentioned in the proposal.
Interested parties should submit a one page inquiry on the attached form before 02 November, 2019,
either online or via email to: email@example.com mentioning the title of solicitation in the subject line.