A joint workshop marking the successful closure of the 'Scaling Nutrition-sensitive and innovative Fisheries Technologies through partnerships in Odisha, India’ project
Date: Friday, 28 May 2021
Time: 14:30-15:30 (UTC+8)
Watch the event recording:
WorldFish, in collaboration with the Government of Odisha and the USAID India Partnership Program in New Delhi, hosted a joint workshop marking the successful closure of the 'Scaling Nutrition-sensitive and innovative Fisheries Technologies through partnerships in Odisha, India’ project.
The event brought together the contributing members, key partners, stakeholders, and the World Food Prize Laureates from 2021 and 2005, Dr. Shakuntala Thilsted and Dr. M. Vijay Gupta. They shared the project's outputs at the household, community, and national levels to increase the availability, accessibility, and consumption of nutritious small fish for healthy diets while improving women's livelihoods in Odisha, India.
These initiatives include nutrition-sensitive carp mola polyculture, hygienic solar power dryers, and the inclusion of small fish in government-led nutrition programs. The panelists also discussed the importance of continuing the partnership momentum, shared support, and collaboration between WorldFish and the Government of Odisha to transform food systems with aquatic foods and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Ms. Ramona El Hamzoui, Mission Director, USAID, New Delhi
Presentation on ‘Nutrition-sensitive fisheries technologies for improved human health’
- Dr. Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Leader for Nutrition & Public Health, WorldFish; 2021 Vice Chair, UN Food Systems Summit Action Track 4; 2021 World Food Prize Laureate
Presentation on ‘USAID Odisha project outputs, outcomes and lessons learned'
- Dr. Arun Padiyar, Project Manager, WorldFish, Odisha
Views and Recommendation
- Mr. Aravind Agrawal, IAS, Director, ICDS and Social Welfare, Women and Child Development Department, Government of Odisha
- Dr. J. K. Jena, Deputy Director General (Fisheries Science), Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Dr. K. S. Murali, Executive Director, MS Swaminathan Research Foundation
- Mr. R. Raghu Prasad, IFS, Commissioner-cum-Secretary, Fisheries and Animal Resources Development Department, Government of Odisha
Views and Guidance
- Dr. M. Vijay Gupta, Former Assistant Director General, WorldFish; 2005 World Food Prize Laureate
- Dr. Gareth Johnstone, Director General, WorldFish
- Tana Lala-Pritchard, Executive Director, Strategy, Innovation and Communication, WorldFish