A virtual dialogue exploring global food system solutions with aquatic foods from land and water systems for improved food, nutrition security and environmental sustainability.
Date: Tuesday, 25 May 2021
Time: 18:00-19:00 (UTC+8)
The World Economic Forum and Friends of Ocean Action is hosting the 2021 Virtual Ocean Dialogues ahead of this year’s World Oceans Day. As part of the ocean dialogue series, a Global Food Systems Summit Dialogue will be held,co-convened by the Special Envoy of the Food Systems Summit, Agnes Kalibata, Special Envoy for the Ocean, Peter Thomson, Friends of Ocean Action, UN Foundation, and Norway, to develop an agenda of aquatic food solutions to nourish billions while protecting ocean and inland ecosystems.
In this virtual dialogue, Norway’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, UN Food Systems Summit and Action Track leaders as well as civil society heads, will lead a panel discussion on the vital role of aquatic foods from the ocean, rivers and lakes as pillars of sustainable, nature-positive and accessible global food systems. They will highlight solutions needed to steer food systems agenda and policy reform through impactful research, market and trade, investments and public-private partnerships.
WorldFish’s Global Lead in Nutrition and Public Health, Dr. Shakuntala Thilsted, who is the Vice Chair of the Summit’s Action Track 4 on ‘Advancing Equitable Livelihoods’ and recently named 2021 World Food Prize Laureate, will join the panel to share her expertise in food systems transformation with aquatic foods. Dr. Thilsted will discusswhy the ocean and other aquatic ecosystems are critical to providing sufficient, safe and nutritious foods that meet the dietary needs and food preferences of a growing population.
- Ine Eriksen Søreide, Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Dr. Shakuntala Thilsted, Global Lead for Nutrition and Public Health, WorldFish; Vice Chair, UNFSS 2021 Action Track 4: Advancing Equitable Livelihoods and Laureate of the World Food Prize 2021
- Mitchell Lay, Fisherman and Coordinator, Caribbean Network of Fisherfolk Organization
- Sanjeev Krishnan, Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer, S2G Ventures
- Peter Thomson, UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for the Ocean
- Agnes Kalibata, UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for the 2021 Food System Summit
- David Nabarro, Strategic Director, Food Systems Summit Dialogues Support Team
Read the Food Systems Summit brief to learn more about the vital roles of blue foods in the global food systems.