SAVE THE DATE for the “Sustainable Ocean Economy” Dialogue on 4 June 2020 at 18:00 PM – 19:15 PM (UTC+8). This session will explore the role of the public and private sectors with regards to decarbonization, the future of jobs, gender balance and untapped potential and opportunities. Check your local times here.
To access the webinars you need to follow the 2 step process below:
- You must register on the World Economic Forum Virtual Ocean Dialogues site here: https://www.weforum.org/events/virtual-ocean-dialogues-2020/
- You will then receive an invitation email from Ocean2020@e.weforum.org titled Invitation - Virtual Ocean Dialogues 2020. Follow the instructions in that email. It will take you through a Toplink platform until a window confirming your final registration appears.
Context of the event:
With an opening video address from Erna Solberg, Prime Minister of Norway.
Close to 80% of global trade moves by sea, and fish provide essential nutrients for over 1 billion people. The unprecedented challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic – with impacts on ports, industries and workers – risk leaving many people undernourished and vulnerable without the services provided by the ocean economy. Recovery from the pandemic and building back a more resilient and sustainable ocean economy will be critical to ensuring long-term ocean security, and inclusivity for the livelihoods that depend on it. The need to rethink and rebuild our economic system presents an opportunity that society must seize today. At the same time, we must address the gaps in ocean management and take action to reverse unsustainable ocean economy practices.
- How can we ensure a just transition for small island developing states while improving and ensuring an inclusive and sustainable ocean economy through the private sector?
- How can COVID-19 stimulus packages accelerate change in a sustainable ocean economy through the related industry sectors?
List of speakers:
- Kitack Lim - Secretary-General, International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- Charles Goddard - Editorial Director, The Economist
- Barkha Mossae - Global Shaper, Port Louis Hub
- Nigel Edwards - Group CSR Director, Hilton Food Group
Don’t forget to tune in to this exciting discussion about the impacts of COVID-19 on the sustainability and resilience of the ocean economy! We look forward to your participation!