Save the date!
The World Seafood Congress (WSC) - first to be held in Asia - is holding the conference from 9 to 11 September 2019. To navigate the scientific session, WSC 2019 are partnering with WorldFish, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), Bogor University (FFMS-IPB & CCMRS-IPB), INFOFISH, Hong Kong University (SWIMS), International Association for Women in the Seafood Industry (WSI), University Putra Malaysia (UPM), University Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), Malayisian Department of Fisheries (dof.gov.my), and the Institute of Productivity, Research, Innovation and Development for Fisheries (iPRIDE4fish).
With the theme “Seafood Supply Chains of the Future”, the conference unites a distinctive and world-class blend of scientists, researchers and leaders both from the scholarly community and industry to trade their information, experiences and research advancements on fish inspection, quality management and technological developments in the seafood sector. It will also address existing and evolving conditions that are critical for the sustainability of fisheries, aquaculture and ocean ecosystems, and demonstrate new innovations and solutions to these challenges.
On the first day of the congress, 9 September 2019, WorldFish Director General, Dr. Gareth Johnstone will be giving a keynote speech during the keynote session dedicated to Sustainability. Other keynote speakers during the first day of the congress and their presentation titles are reported below:
Keynote Session 1
09:45 - 11:15 Achieving the SDGs in Seafood – Issues and Opportunities
- Dato' Haji Munir Bin Haji Mohd Nawi, Fisheries Malaysia Director General (also WorldFish Board of Trustees members); SDG14 - How Ready Are We?
- Dr. Gareth Johnstone, WorldFish Director General; Achieving the SDGs in Seafood – Issues and Opportunities
Keynote Session 2
12:00 - 13:00 Sustainability; Maximising All Our Resources to Meet Future Challenges
- Mr. Alessandro Lovatelli, FAO; The Seafood Industry: Will There Be Enough Fish in the Future?
- Dr. Darian McBain, Thai Union; Sustainability; Maximising all Our Resources to Meet Future Challenges
Keynote Session 3
13:50 - 15:00 Responsibility; Acting Responsibly Throughout the Supply Chain
- Prof. Alan Reilly, UniversityCollege Dublin; Fish Fraud – A Threat to the Global Seafood Supply Chain
- Prof. Edward H. Allison, WorldFish Honorary Fellow; Adding Justice to Environmental Sustainability: Towards Socially Responsible Seafood
Keynote Session 4
15:45 - 16:45 Innovation; Tackling the HR Challenges
- Dr. Meryl J. Williams (Asian Fisheries Society (AFS)) Globalization, Women and the Future of the Seafood Industry
- Dr. Arif Satria (IPB University) Challenge of University in 4.0 Industrial Era to Provide Competent Human Resources in Seafood Industry