A Fish Talk led by WorldFish, FISH.CRP and partners for an early look on COVID-19's country and global-level implications, and supporting governments in Asia, Africa and the Pacific to formulate effective measures to respond.
Date: Thursday, 23 April 2020
Time: 15:00-16:00 (UTC+8)
COVID-19 is already disrupting fish and aquatic food systems and threatens devastating impacts on food and nutrition security and livelihoods of millions of poor and vulnerable people in developing countries. In this Fish Talk, WorldFish, the FISH CRP and our partners took an early look at the pandemic’s country and global-level implications, and supporting governments in Asia, Africa and the Pacific to formulate effective measures to respond.
Introduction by Shakuntala H. Thilsted, Global Research Leader, Nutrition and Value Chain.
Overview on planning an effective research response to the impacts of COVID-19 pandemic on fish and aquatic food systems in the short, medium- and long-term by Michael Phillips, Director of Fisheries and Aquaculture Science and the FISH CRP.
- Which measures can WorldFish and partners take to sustain the production, supply and consumption of this highly nutritious food group in these times of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How can we protect the workers and populations that depend on fish and other aquatic foods for income and livelihoods?
- How can we ensure that these measures are part of the multitude of responses being put in place by governments, civil society and the private sector?
- How can WorldFish make the best use of its pivotal position as the leading research center in the fisheries sector, and as part of One CGIAR?
Rapid Fire Presentations on:
- Multi-country survey on COVID-19 disruptions to aquatic food supply chains by Ben Belton, Senior Scientist, WorldFish.
- Gender and equity in responses to COVID-19 by Cynthia McDougall, Gender Research Lead, WorldFish.
- Early country research responses to impacts of COVID-19 on fish and aquatic food systems by:
Q&A moderated by Shakuntala H. Thilsted and Doina Huso, Digital Communications and Marketing Specialist, WorldFish.
Closing Remarks by Michael Phillips.